Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Emma learn reading

I have been trying different ways to teach my children to read. There is a lot to learn myself to be a teacher to my own child. Here are just some experiences I want to share.

These are the steps I think I will follow if I do it again:

1. Alphabet.

 You start with teaching her Alphabet letters when she start to talk a few words and she can understand quite a bit what you say. You can try that after your child is 15 months or older. My 20months old can read most of the Capital Alphabet now except some of the letters that he can not pronounce clearly such as: F, S, H, K, N, X but I can tell he memorize them and try to make the sound close to it.

2. Vocabulary cards.

You want to buy the one with one side picture, the other side big printed words. Don't buy the one with picture and word on the same side. You will never know she is reading the picture or reading the word. This can get her to know about 50 easy words. She need to have a minimum amount of vocabulary before she can start to read the book.

The key is to let her read the words in the BIG PRINTED form. I'm not satisfied that I can only find about 100 words card set online or store. I hope I can find 1000 words card set but I just couldn't find them (am I too greedy?). So I try to make some cards myself with paper, card boards. I also try to make a power point slide with one word on one slide and make a slide show. It works for a while. But eventually I have to admit: Using the words printed on the cards is still the best way to learn. You can't have a kid sit in front of the compute r 15mins every day. You want to have cards with you so you can ask her to read a few words whenever she wants to read.

3. Phonics

After she memorize about 100 words, I start teaching her Phonics. She also learn that from TV. That will teach her how to pronounce words herself.

4. Easy reader books.

Selecting the books that your child can start to read herself is essential. Words should be learn in the sentence, vocabulary cards should be used to enhance the memory.

These are the good books for a kid to start to read herself (Level 1)

1. Hop On Pop by Dr. Seuss
2. Are you my mother?
3. I can read with my eyes shut by Dr. Seuss
4. My many colored days by Dr. Seuss
5. Cat in the hat by Dr. Seuss
6. Good night moon
7. One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish
8. The foot book
9. Green eggs and ham

These are the level 2 books I used. These are simple and interesting stories and I really love reading them with Emma.

An I can read book series Level 2:
Owl at home
Frog and Toad all year
Frog and toad are Friends
Adventures of little bear
Mouse Tales
Little bear's visit
Days with Frog and Toad

When Emma get into level 2 reading, I don't use flash cards to teach her words any more, she can learn the words by reading. She can sound it out most of the words that she don't know.

Now she is on level 3 reading. I still have hard time to find the books for her.

I only spend around 15-20mins of a day to supervise her reading. The key is not how long you spend a day to read but more on how often you read. I made her read every day she is with me. Unfortunately, she has to spend 3 days a week with her grandparents so she only reads 4 days a week.





Online reading for 3-4 years old: www.starfall.com

<to be continued>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers